In places hit by conflict, economic, and climatic aberrations, poor populations struggle to recover, But poor women are worse off.
Woman’s ability to cope with shocks displacement, market shocks, family illnesses are limited by underlying gender discrimination and unequal societal customs.
Financial dependency and social exclusion limit women’s resilience to shocks. Globally, women face lower market participation and a persistent wage gap, even in developed countries. The empowerment and autonomy of women and the improvement of their political, social, economic and health status is a highly important end in itself. In addition, it is essential for the achievement of sustainable development.
Equal partnership of both women and men, including shared responsibilities for the care and nurturing of children and maintenance of the household. In all parts of the world, women are facing threats to their lives, health and well- being; result of being overburdened with work and of their lack of power and influence. In most regions of the world, women receive less formal education than men, and at the same time. Women’s own knowledge, abilities and coping mechanisms often go unrecognized. Achieving change requires policy and program actions that will improve women’s access to secure livelihoods and economic resources. And alleviate their extreme responsibilities with regard to housework, remove legal impediments to their participation in public life and raise social awareness through effective program of education and mass communication.
In addition, improving the status of women also enhances their decision-making capacity at all levels in all spheres of life. Women experience limited access to and investment in education, lack ownership and control over assets, property and unequal inheritance. Over one-third of women report experiencing physical or sexual violence.
Women empowerment making women powerful to make them capable of deciding for themselves. There are various ways how one can empower women. The individuals and government must both come together to make it happen.
Shared some measures to empower women and should take steps to eliminate inequalities between men and women as soon as possible by:
- Establishing mechanisms for women’s equal participation and equitable representation at all levels of the political process and public life in each community and society and enabling women to articulate their concerns and needs.
- Promoting the fulfillment of women’s potential through education, skill development and employment, giving paramount importance to the elimination of poverty, illiteracy and ill health among women.
- Eliminating all practices that discriminate against women; assisting women to establish and realize their rights, including those that relate to reproductive and sexual health.
- Adopting appropriate measures to improve women’s ability to earn income beyond traditional occupations, achieve economic self-reliance, and ensure women’s equal access to the labor market and social security systems.
- Eliminating violence against women.
- By eliminating discriminatory practices by employers against women..such as those based on proof of contraceptive use or pregnancy status.
- Making it possible, through laws, regulations and other appropriate measures, for women to combine the roles of child-bearing, breast-feeding and child-rearing with participation in the workforce.
- Education is one of the most important means of empowering women…Education must be made compulsory, so that women can become literate to make a life for themselves.
Please share your thoughts and comments: